File:11 C.F. Wenner Orignial Farmhouse - Glenwood.jpg
11_C.F._Wenner_Orignial_Farmhouse_-_Glenwood.jpg (587 × 338 pixels, file size: 51 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
Margaret Myers (Mulkey) standing in front of "Glenwood" in 1921. This home was originally the farmhouse of C.F. Wenner, one of several successful farmers and merchants who established businesses in Berlin along the river bottom as the railroad and canal thrived in the mid-19th Century.
"Glenwood" was carved from the Merryland Tract granted by Governor Benedict L. Calvert to Captain John Colvill in 1731. From September 6-10, 1862, the farmhouse was taken as a Union Army headquarters position while guarding the town of Berlin and the river crossing of Union troops into Virginia via the Lovettsville Rd. On September 10, 1862, "Glenwood" became a hospital during a skirmish fought at the intersection of Petersville Rd. and Mountain Rd., presently known as Rt. 464 or Souder Rd in Brunswick, MD. As the Confederate Army moved on to Antietem on September 17, Berlin women cared for the wounded in the buildings and barn at "Glenwood." Tents and blankets were stretched in the yard and across the road on the Wenner farm at the present site of PNC Bank.
On October 11-14, 1862, General George B. McClellan occupied "Glenwood" as his headquarters while gathering supplies for Union troops to pursue Robert E. Lee and the Confederate Army into Virginia.
Following the Battle of Gettysburg in July 1863, General George B. Meade camped here for a week.
Over the years, neighbors in Rosemont have found a large number of Civil War artifacts on this property.
(Photo courtesy of Earskon & Edna Myers; information from Maryland Historical Trust)
The Earskon Myers family home. Several generations of Myerses have lived there...Peter
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||15:49, 20 November 2019||587 × 338 (51 KB)||HistoryCommission2||Margaret Myers (Mulkey) standing in front of "Glenwood" in 1921. This home was originally the farmhouse of C.F. Wenner, one of several successful farmers and merchants who established businesses in Berlin along the river bottom as the railroad and cana...|