File:Horine Building drug store and residence in 1910.jpg
Original file (2,048 × 1,622 pixels, file size: 402 KB, MIME type: image/jpeg)
Having established his first pharmacy "between the tracks" in 1890, Dr. Arlington G. Horine built his signature drug store and residence in 1910 as the railroad yard expanded and forced merchants to move the business district up the hill to Potomac Street. The building still stands today and is adorned by a beautiful mural that in part depicts Dr. Horine, who also served as Chief Surgeon of the B&O, Brunswick's Health Officer and Mayor from 1906-14, looking out the window.
The interior was typical of an early twentieth century soda fountain and pharmacy. In addition to sandwiches, Horines was popular for butterscotch & chocolate sundaes, milkshakes, ammonia & cherry cokes and lemon phosphates. Doctor & Mrs. Horine as well as Mrs. Eleanor Shewbridge were the well known, friendly faces behind the counter for generations of Brunswick kids.
(Photo courtesy of Phil Graves)
There were a group of elderly ladies that would come in every Saturday morning before they would go shopping who swore by ammonia cokes. They said it gave them energy to get their shopping done. They were concerned when Mr Horine was no longer there but we're thrilled to know that Bertha was still going to make them. That is when Bertha Haller ran the business as Bertha's Corner. She didn't do the pharmacy but did all the old fashioned soda fountain side of the business. All of the antique furnishings and glass ware was just like it was when Mr. Horine owned it. The drug counter behind the wall was just as he left it, the only thing missing was the drugs and chemicals. The scales, mortar and all the other items used in the trade were still sitting on the counter...Nancy Angelos.
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||20:56, 26 November 2019||2,048 × 1,622 (402 KB)||HistoryCommission2||Having established his first pharmacy "between the tracks" in 1890, Dr. Arlington G. Horine built his signature drug store and residence in 1910 as the railroad yard expanded and forced merchants to move the business district up the hill to Potomac Str...|