Page:Brunswick 100 Years of Memories.pdf/45

From Brunswick MD History
Revision as of 10:22, 7 August 2018 by Dhuscha (talk | contribs) (→‎Not proofread: Created page with "PARK HEIGHTS CEMETERY Do You Remember? The Park Heights Cemetery replaced the old Lutheran Berlin Cemetery which had served Berlin and early Brunswick. In 1910, Howard Marvi...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page has not been proofread


Do You Remember?

The Park Heights Cemetery replaced the old Lutheran Berlin Cemetery which had served Berlin and early Brunswick. In 1910, Howard Marvin Jones bought from the B&O RR 10.1 acres of land bordered by the Gum Spring Hollow Road on the East, by "H" Street on the north. Here he created a burial ground that was enlarged in recent years and is still serving much of the town's needs. As shown on an aerial photograph, the cemetery is heartshaped. The body of Mrs. Anna W. (Amos) Haller (1860-1914) was the first buried at Park Heights. ·Her monument is seen at the south border of the east curve of the heart. Another early burial was made on the east side of the same curve; here George M. Roeder's body lies at rest (18951918). Mr. Jones reserved several lots for his own family. He and his wife are interred near where the road divides; their stone is easily seen, as a planting of azaleas hugs the stones from their back. One mausoleum has been built at Park Heights. At the entrance is the resting place of six members of the Ault and Myers families. Since March 1988 Jim Bradley has managed the cemetery for the former owners, John Parise, Sr., Paul Interdonato, Mrs.Josephine Schamel, and John V. Del Vecchio, until a recent change. The cemetery property was transfserred to the Park Heights Cemetery Foundation, Inc., a nonprofit organization in rnid-1990. The local Jaycees facilitated this change, which was two years in the making. All members are volunteers. President and vice-president are Jim Bradley and Leonard Brooks, respectively. Dawn Bradley is secretarytreasurer; Bill Woullard is the representative from the town council. S - Dawn Bradley - Jim Bradley

That th~· recreation area developed on New York hill for $55,000, sponsored by the National Youth Association in cooperation with the YMCA, B&O, and the community, was turned over to the town? The project was built on railroad property? How the Catholic Church on Catholic Church Hill looked? It had steps up each side of the front, similar to the former Lutheran Church on "C" Street. That "C" Street church is now a dwelling; the Catholic Church burned down. That the railroad hauled much captured equipment from WWII? It was always covered, had afour-man guard, and was not allowed to be touched. The flagmen at the railroad crossings and the long waits caused by standing trains blocking the roadway? Sometimes they would "cut" the train so the cars could cross. When churches used to sponsor their wiener roast picnics at the Farmers Picnic Woods and at Braddock Amusement Park? Each family took its own food; then gathered for fellowship and group singing.

Before Brunswick streets were paved, the ruts were filled with cinders from the railroad - free of charge? When Mr. Feete, the undertaker, used to bury bodies in a coffin? A coffin had six sides. Caskets are used now. They have eight sides. When bread was delivered by train from Hagerstown in canvas carts with nothing but a piece of paper over them? Some had a slab of board on top along with the paper.


Fitabella Roccosina? His store was beyond the tracks and he had a big, big shoe hanging outside. When he moved to Hudson Row, he brought the shoe inside.